Monday, May 9, 2016

Hill Skills and other ridiculous outings

Another week over and they seem to be going by so much faster.

205k all in for last week as well as a testing game of soccer and a 4.15am 5k walk makes it a pretty successful week in my book. Is it enough - well we'll just have to wait and see.

Definately taking in more hills and trying different approaches to hills in how to save energy and also how to ride more powerfully. As usual strong Internet reading training, yeah it's a thing was the basis for this and also plenty of practice last night and on Friday last.

Very enjoyable 66k spin last night taking in 3 large climbs but the legs felt fresh and it was worth the effort. Apart from a wrong turn on the way home and 2 horrible hail showers mental strength was good and I was dry by the time I got home. The hills succumbed to my relentless pedal power and dogged determination not to give up. Well that's how I imagine it would sound like if I ever make the papers.
An Irishman Abroad podcast featuring Bressie wiped out  the first 40k and tunes for the homeward stretch ensured spirits, and averages remained high including a King of Mountain segment. Even though not on a very hard section. But still better than everyone else so I'm taking it.
Possibly messed up my nutrition before/after and wasn't feeling great last night post but much better today and at least I know that's something I need to focus on for the longer day.
Good hill sprints Friday evening and although a tough session it still felt great to pass people out on the climbs. Struggled on the way home with a sugar low. Definitely need to focus more on my food intake around cycles. Generally the rest of the time I'm eating well so only minor adjustments.

This week won't be a big one. Working towards a 100k sportif on saturday with many large climbs. Not sure who I'll be out with if anyone so potential for long stretches of mental strength necessary to get me true the dark miles.
This will be the longest I've done all year but also I've cycled this before with less training so hopefully a case of mind over matter.

A famous guy once said cycling for more than 2 hours is a waste of time, literally a waste of time, especially with a demanding family life to work around. So we decided after 2 hours or 60 odd kms it's just about a strong mind and a sore arse. Then again what's cycling without a sore arse. 

So plan for the week, including working six days, rest, work, soccer, 50k flat, rest, the big one.

Weather expectations crappy for the end of the week so the enjoyable, warm, shorts and jersey, easy drying spin of yesterday may just be a memory.

A song for tonight, it's gotta be the song that powered me home last night...

Take it away The Police - Roxanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment